Lawson Trooper vs. the M & R Sportsman automatic
Here are some quick differences between the Lawson Trooper and the M & R Sportsman automatic:
1. Modular Design - The Trooper is a fully modular press, the Sportsman is not. For example, you can purchase a Base with the number of print heads you want, and then add additional print head at a later time - the M & R does not.
2. Flex-Head Design -With the Trooper you can move each print head to any print station you desire. This is especially helpful when printing light colors on dark shirts and flash curing - the M & R does not.
3. Same Station Print & Flash - The Trooper allows for Same-Station Print-and-Flash. The M & R does not. With the Trooper there is no need to purchase additional print heads and extra stations just to flash;
4. Shuttle Flash on Casters, Not Dependent on a Print Head - The Trooper's optional Shuttle Flash is not mounted on a stationary print head! This means faster set-up, greater versatility and eliminates the need to purchase an extra print head.
5. Registration Bearings at each Carousel Station - If you purchase a 8-Station Trooper, there are 8-Registration Gates; if you purchase a 10-Station Trooper there are 10-Registration Gates. The M & R Sportsman only has 3-Registration Gates. The additional registration gates aids in better and longer-lasting registration.
6. 7-Year Registration Warranty - All Troopers come with a 7-Year Registration Parts Warranty and a comprehensive 2-Year warranty on all other parts. The M & R is only a 2-Year Parts Warranty.
7. Front Stroke Adjustment - The Trooper offers the ability to adjust the front stroke stop. The M & R does not.
8. Dual-Action Squeegee - The Trooper uses a "dual-action" squeegee. Benefits of the Lawson squeegee is a larger print area, longer screen life, the ability to reverse the squeegee and use a 60 or 70 durometer squeegee on the print (as you desire) and single-knob adjust squeegee pressure that balances left-to-right squeegee pressure across the print.
9. Easier Screen Cleaning - The Trooper has a 4" carousel lift vs. the Sportsman's 2" lift. The Trooper benefit is that you can easily clean and wipe the underneath side of the screen, without moving the carousel out the way (like is required on the Sportsman);
10. Pin Registration Available - You can use the versatile and inexpensive Lawson Pin Registration System, if desired. The M & R only offers their 3-Point, corner-based system (the tri-lock) - the M & R does not.
11. Smaller Adult Platen - The Trooper comes with your choice of a 14" x 18" or 16" x 18" Adult Platen. This allows you to use a "Standard Manual Frame" (i.e. 20" x 24") with the Trooper. The M & R standard platen is 17" x 23", requiring you to use a 23" x 31" frame.
12. Less Expensive to Operate - Because the Trooper uses much less air than the M & R, your air-compressor will run less often…saving you a lot of electricity costs.
13. Foot Pedal Operated - All Troopers come with a convenient Foot Pedal, for easy use and the initiation of the print cycle. - the M & R does not.
14. Smaller - Troopers have a small diameter than M & R presses.
15. Safer - The Trooper is a safer press to use than the M & R, because of 2 basic reasons:
A) The press can not automatically cycle, until the Foot Pedal is actuated (except on the Trooper-PC);
B) The rotation of the Trooper Carousel is "softer" than the M & R press, because the Trooper does not require as much air to start and stop the carousel.
16. Simpler - The Trooper has a much simpler Control Box. The M & R presses have lots of buttons and a "data pad" to turn heads on and off and to control other indexing features. The Trooper has a very simple, stationary, control panel. The trooper also has a "remote control set-up box" that the operator uses to check registration basic pressure adjustments.
17. Print Head On/Off Controls - The Trooper has On/Off controls at each individual print head. - the M & R does not. This makes for a very simple set-up and easier future maintenance.
18. Screen Access - The Trooper has a more "open head/screen access" than the M & R. Our Aluminum Extrusion provides strength, while providing for greater screen access. This is better for registration and for adding ink to the screen.
19. Manual Indexing - The Trooper and Trooper XL allow for "manual indexing", while everything else remains fully automatic. This means that you have a choice, depending on your operator and style of printing required. Also, this is a great feature just in case the automatic indexer malfunctions or breaks, or needs servicing (and they all do at some time or another), and with the M & R you can no longer operate the press (they only have "free-wheel", with no automatic indexing lock). With the Trooper you can always rotate the carousel.
20. Simple Design / Common Parts - The Trooper utilizes common parts that are frequently available locally. For example, we use standard electric micro-switches vs. custom-made proximity switches. Likewise, we use standard air-cylinders, nuts and bolts and other hardware. M & R uses lots of custom parts, that can only be purchased from them.
21. Lawson Stability - …we've been a pioneer in the screen printing industry since 1949. Knowing that the company you purchased your new automatic from is financially stable, committed to the screen printing industry and is in a position to support your automatic with in-stock parts and a knowledgeable service staff. M & R is a giant company and is actually owned by a large conglomerate. We all know that huge companies can go through restructuring and other organizational changes.
22. Performance Guarantee - Lawson offers free factory training at our St. Louis facility. In a complete 1-Day course, you will learn all the essentials of how to install, operate, maintain, and service the Trooper. M & R does not our same comprehensive program.
23. Free Factory Training - Lawson manufacturers equipment, inks and many supply items used in screen printing. The customer truly has a single-source supplier who can aid with the entire "equipment-supply chain" experience. This means fewer hassles for the customer, reduced costs and more supplier accountability.
24. Complete Turn-Key Manufacturer/Supplier -
25. More Options Available - The Trooper has many more options to choose than the M & R. For example: XL or PC style presses, Speed Rails, Speed Platens, Head Support Bridge, Modular Head Pre-Wire and Pin Registration.
26. The Trooper is Less Expensive - This is the last on the list of reasons of why to purchase the Trooper over the M & R, but should still be considered.